Monday, December 7, 2009

Wired Teens


In Prow 100 this term, we have discussed the phenomenon of text messaging to a great extent, and one of our assigned readings was Kris Axman's "r u online: The Evolving Lexicon of Wired Teens." In his essay Axman quotes, "This is really an extension of what teenagers have always done: recreate the language in their own image" (248). When I was a teenager we used to pass notes back and forth in the hallways and in the classrooms, and yes the words that we spoke were different than the seemingly dull and conservative tones of our parents. The telephone was also a preferred means of communication, and I remember talking for hours at a time to my friends.

When I purchased a cell phone with a text messaging plan for my teenage son, I had no idea what I was getting him into. I wasn't really aware that text messaging had replaced the phone or the written note, but it definitely has. Kayla also addresses the issue of texting in her blog "Let's Talk Text Speak." My son gives me daily tips on how to avoid being caught text messaging in class, and how to actually send him a discernible text message. On an afternoon that I had planned to take him shopping for a Halloween costume I texted him: wll b fn 2 go lk @ Hlwn cstms! He texted me back: Why do u want to go lick @ Hllwn cstms?

Despite all the changes that my son's cell phone has ushered in, one thing remains the same: he is still the smart-ass he always was!

No comments:

Post a Comment