Sunday, December 6, 2009

Reflecting



I began our Foundations of Composition class with a deep seeded fear of all things grammar, and the thought of blogging scared me just as much. As if my lack of grammatical skills weren’t enough of a burden, the fact that I would be publishing them for all the world to see seemed to be social suicide. Feelings of intimidation and fear set aside, I feel like I have grown up and matured as a writer in this class. I approached the introductory blog and our first grammar exam with little confidence, and I feel it was directly reflected in my work. However, as we draw closer to the end of the semester, I feel my confidence has increased exponentially.

Before this class things like dangling modifiers and superlatives sounded like a foreign language to me, and I was reluctant to learn it. But I figured if I was going to be in the Professional Writing Program it would be something I would have to learn in order to succeed. It was a bit of a bumpy ride at some points along the way, and some things did not go the way I would have liked them to, but it was a learning experience. Boy, I’ve learned a lot. I feel like grammar is starting to become somewhat of a second language to me, and I believe a lot of the class can agree. It is especially evident in our grammar detective blog posts where we have easily identified public displays of grammatical error.

However, I feel like this is just the beginning for my grammar journey. I have begun to develop only a basic understanding and comfort within the rules and regulations, and I believe it is something I can still improve on through my years. One can never be too correct. After all, I believe our grammar skills are a direct reflection of who we are. One can be careless within their writing and convey the same message about their character to their peers, or one can be responsible and edit their writing. I chose the latter, and I chose to keep learning to improve my skills!



Links to blog comments:


No comments:

Post a Comment